Whether you’re just starting out in card magic or have been doing it for years, marked decks are a great way to expand your repertoire and add more variety to your performances. Not only are these cards easy to read, but they also allow you to perform a wide range of tricks that would not be possible with an ordinary deck.
There are many different marked decks on the market, each with its own set of advantages and disadvantages. The best choice is one that meets your needs, but there are a few key things to look for when choosing a marked deck.
1. It should have decent markings that are large enough so that you can read them at a glance without looking too closely at the back of the card. This is important, because small markings can be hard to spot and they can make your job of reading the markings much harder than it should be.
2. It should be made from a good quality card stock and have a strong grip. This is because marked decks are often very prone to being dropped, which can result in the marks becoming loose or even coming off. This can be a real headache for magicians, and it’s one of the reasons that you should avoid cheap, low-quality marked decks.
3. It should have a high-quality printing process. This is especially important if you are planning on performing the markings during a live show, as you want the markings to be easy to see and not fade quickly under pressure.
The best marked decks are ones that are printed by a reputable company with a high-quality printing process and are made from a good quality card stock. The most popular brand is Copag, and they offer marked decks in a variety of styles and colors.
4. It should be printed using the Rider Back design. This is a design that has been trademarked by the United States Playing Card Company and is protected by law. You should never print a marked deck that has something other than the Rider Back on the card backs, as it can dilute the value of the patent and make it illegal to sell or reproduce this design.
5. It should be made by a magician who is experienced in performing with marked decks and has a reputation for producing quality products. This is especially true if you are looking for a good way to learn how to use marked decks, as the majority of magicians who are more experienced will be able to point you in the right direction.
6. It should be affordable and easy to use. This is important if you’re just getting into using marked decks, as they can be expensive to buy and may come with a lot of extras that you don’t need.
The most affordable marked decks are those that have been manufactured in a factory and are made by a magician who is experienced in the use of marked decks and has a reputation for supplying high-quality products. Some of these companies offer a free download to help you get started with marked decks. These downloads will usually include videos showing you how to use a particular marked deck, and sometimes also a routine that can be performed with the marked deck. These tutorials are a great way to get started with using marked decks, and they’re very useful for magicians of all levels who want to learn how to make the most of this wonderful tool.